Skip to main content

Monday... It is so good to look back and then ahead.


Psalm 119:65-66 (NLT), "You have done so many good things for me, LORD, just as you promised. I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgement and knowledge."

Monday... It is so good to look back and then ahead.

It really is. There can be in looking back confidence building for what is ahead.

That is what the Psalmist did in Psalm 119:65-66 (NLT). He writes, "You have done so many good things for me, LORD, just as you promised. I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgement and knowledge."


Now the Evil One wants us to look back but he wants us to only see the bad. And of course there is some bad. And so many only see the bad and if that is all they see then that is what they will see in their future. Again the Psalmist says in verse 65, "You have done so many good things for me, LORD." And then he says, "just as you promised." Our looking back on the good things brings us to remember what God has promised and that he can be trusted.


Verses 37-38 gives us good advice It says, "Turn my eyes from worthless things and give me life through your word. Reassure me of your promise made to those who fear you." Now he cannot reassure us if we are looking only at the bad.

Now verse 71 says, "My suffering was good for me, for it taught me to pay attention to your decrees." And that is so important. That is seeing good in something that we could call bad.

Verse 66 says, "I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgement and knowledge." And oh how much we need that. Verse 73 says, "You made me; you created me. Now give me the sense to follow your commands."

Now Psalm 119 is the longest chapter in the Bible. There are 176 verses in this Psalm. Now I read a Psalm a day until I come to Psalm 119 and I break it down into 30 + verses plus continuing my Psalm of the day. There are 150 Psalms and I read a Psalm depending upon the date so I can read the whole Psalms in 5 months. Now today is the first day of the fifth month in my cycle of reading the Psalms so I read a portion of Psalm 119 and also Psalm 121. I said that to say, there is so much in Psalm 119 and it needs to be broken down to really get the benefit of it.

What I'm saying is, take some time in reading this Psalm. There is so much encouragement in it. Now I did also read today Psalm 121 and verses 1-2 (MSG) are very important to me. They say, "I look up to the mountains; does my strength come from mountains? No, my strength comes from GOD who made heaven, and earth, and mountains." Yes, I love that.

Again here in Psalm 119 it says that it is so good to look back and then ahead. Yes, God wants to speak to us today and he does it through his Spirit and his Word. Yes, yes! #todaysvbeginning





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday... Maybe we need this word today.

Psalm 57:1b (NIRV), "There I will stay until the danger is gone." Thursday... Maybe we need this word today. There are words in life that give us confidence no matter what we are facing. Now we have to believe them in order for them to have an impact. David wrote Psalm 57 while he was in a cave hiding from Saul who wanted to kill him and he says in the last part of verse 1, "There I will stay." It was a safe place and Saul didn't know that he was there. But he doesn't stop there. With confidence he said, "There I will stay until." And until is definitely a word of faith and confidence. "There I will stay until the danger is gone." Do we need that today? Let me give you the whole verse. In verse 1 David says, "Have mercy on me, God. Have mercy on me." And that is a great place to start in times of trouble. Maybe that is what we need to pray today, "Have mercy on me, God. Have mercy on me." It is so great to have someone...

Tuesday... We just have trouble listening.

1 Corinthians 13:7 (NLT), "Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." Tuesday... We just have trouble listening. Over in Jeremiah 25:4 (NLT) it says, "Again and again the LORD has sent you his servants, the prophets, but you have not listened or even paid attention." And Jeremiah went on to tell what was going to happen. There will be consequences if we do not listen to what God says through his Word. Now the Apostle Paul over in 1 Corinthians was having a problem with some professed Christ followers who were having trouble at listening. And we too can have problems at listening. We can think that being a Christ follower means we do a lot of finger pointing and we give up on people who don't do what we say. We can even do that in our families. But Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 13:7 (NLT), "Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." In verse ...

Friday... It is so exciting but wait a minute.

Proverbs 19:2 (NLT), "Enthusiasm without knowledge is no good; haste makes mistakes." Friday... It is so exciting but wait a minute. This time of the year is so exciting. We get our paycheck from work and then we head to the store or Amazon and buy and buy and buy all those presents and then our check is gone Proverbs 19:2 (NLT) says, "Enthusiasm without knowledge is no good; haste makes mistakes." But buying gifts can be so much fun and seeing how happy they are when opening those presents makes us feel so good. But then verse 3 says, "People ruin their lives by their own foolishness and then they are angry at the Lord." Now for some that is their life. They get money and they spend it on their wants with no thought of what needs to be paid. An important lesson that we have learned is just because you have money in the bank doesn't mean you must spend it. But our enthusiasm takes over. But the problem is when it is gone and there is no money to pay th...