Skip to main content

Tuesday... But let's just remember this.


Tuesday... But let's just remember this.

The writer of Psalm 93 reminds us of a couple of important things. And we need to remember the reality of these two facts.


Verse 3 (NLT) says, "The floods have risen up, O Lord. The floods have roared like thunder; the floods have lifted their pounding waves." Now I have lived close to both Oceans and I have seen some tremendous waves. I've even been through some floods. Now we are not in one right now but I do remember. But our family is going through some very difficult situations. And maybe that is true of you.

Have you been through some floods? Maybe you are going through some mighty stuff that is greater than you can handle right now. The Psalms over and over bring up situations that are greater than we are. But it doesn't stop there. But they also remind us of another fact. 

Yes, what we may be going through is mighty but verse 4 starts with "but". I love that. Yes life is rough, yes "the floods have lifted their pounding waves" "But mightier than the violent raging of the seas, mightier than the breakers on the shore - the Lord is mightier than these!" No matter what you are going though, "the the Lord is mightier than these!" He has what it takes to handle whatever we are going though.

But, and here is another but. Proverbs 3:1-2 (NRSVUE) says, "My child, do not forget my teaching; but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and abundant welfare they will give you."

Verses 5-6 (NLT) says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take." No matter where the path goes you can trust God. Yes, he is mighty and he can handle anything we will go through. We just need to not forget his teaching and to let our heart keep his commands.

Now the Apostle Paul was writing the letter of Philippians while he was in prison but over and over he wrote the word joy, the word rejoice. Now this may not be the verses you want to read today but in chapter 1:28-30 he writes, "Don't be intimidated in any way by your enemies. This will be a sign to them that they are going to be destroyed, but that you are going to be saved, even by God himself." There is that word but again. He goes on, "For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him. We are in a struggle together. You have seen my struggle in the past, and you know that I am still in the midst of it."

God had Paul put into prison to write a big portion of the New Testament. He had to slow him down to write. God knows what he is doing.  Yes, he is mighty but he also knows what he is doing. And there is that word again. So let's put our trust in him.  He is mighty, he knows what he is doing and he can be trusted.Yes, yes! #todaysbeginning


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday... It is so worth it. It really is!

Tuesday... It is so worth it. It really is! Look at this, Proverbs 5:21-23 (CEV) says, "The Lord sees everything, and he watches us closely. Sinners are trapped and caught by their own evil deeds. They get lost and die because of their foolishness and lack of self-control." That is true of so many. Now look at this, Luke 15:1-7 says, "Tax collectors and sinners were all crowding around to listen to Jesus. So the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law of Moses started grumbling, 'This man is friendly with sinners. He even eats with them.' Then Jesus told them this story: If any of you has 100 sheep, and one of them gets lost, what will you do? Won't you leave the 99 in the field and go look for the lost sheep until you find it? And when you find it, you will put it on your shoulder and carry it home. Then you will call in your friends and neighbors and say, 'Let's celebrate! I've found my lost sheep.' Jesus said, 'In the same way there is mo

Monday... Three ifs and two thens. They go together!

Monday... Three ifs and two thens. They go together! They really do. And this is what caught my attention this morning as I was reading Proverbs 2. Verse 1 (NRSVUE) says, "My child, if you accept my words and treasure my commands within you." Verse 3 (NIV), "Indeed i f you call  out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, Verse 4, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, Verse 5, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God." And verses 9-11, " Then you will understand what is right and just and fair - every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you." There will always be some effort we must do, some ifs for the thens to be realized in our lives. So many of us want to understand without the ifs. But the thens are so worth, so very worth the effort. Verses 5-6 in the Ampli

Wednesday... Our unless can turn into useless.

Wednesday... Our unless can turn into useless.  It really can. I have found that unless I give the correct email of my wife then I can't get what I wanted. I put an extra i in her email and I have been working for 5 days to get it changed. Unless has been useless. The writer of Psalm 94 uses this word and shows how important it is. Verses 17-19 (NLT) says, "Unless the Lord had helped me, I would have soon settled in the silence of the grave. I cried out, 'I'm slipping!' but your unfailing love, O Lord, supported me. When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer." "Unless the Lord had helped me." So many people go on and on and on striving to live their life on their own but they keep slipping and doubting and living without hope and cheer. Yes the Lord has such unfailing love for us, he really does but unless we have a relationship with him and we turn to him and ask him for help then the unless turns in to useless because h