Skip to main content

Thursday... Two words that are not normally used today.


Proverbs 12:1 (NLT), "To learn, you must love discipline; it is stupid to hate correction."

Thursday... Two words that are not normally used today.

If we would have called someone stupid we would probably be corrected. We would be in trouble if we called someone stupid, wouldn't we? But four of the translations that I have read today use the word stupid so I am sure it is what the writer of this Psalm meant. 

And the other word is correction. We seem to be in a time in our culture that we don't think correction is the way to go but Biblically it is.


Now the Amplified Bible says, "Whoever loves instruction and discipline loves knowledge." Just because we are not in school doesn't mean we need to quit learning. We still need a hunger for it especially the knowledge that God gives. 

And then the writer says, "But he who hates reproof and correction is stupid." We are never too old to be stupid and for some the older we get the stupider we get. 

Now the next two verses reinforce this. Verses 2-3 (NIV) says, "Good people obtain favor from the Lord, but he condemns wicked schemes. No one can be established through wickedness, but the righteous cannot be uprooted." We need to know that. 

So many never read the Bible, they never find themselves in church so they never know God's way of thinking. And they wonder why they are going through what they are going through. I never would call someone stupid but it really is stupid to not know what God thinks and what he condemns and what he favors and what he rewards.

So let's not be stupid and need correction. Let's love instruction and be disciplined and love knowledge and see what a difference God will make in our lives. Yes, yes! #todaysbeginning

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday... It is so worth it. It really is!

Tuesday... It is so worth it. It really is! Look at this, Proverbs 5:21-23 (CEV) says, "The Lord sees everything, and he watches us closely. Sinners are trapped and caught by their own evil deeds. They get lost and die because of their foolishness and lack of self-control." That is true of so many. Now look at this, Luke 15:1-7 says, "Tax collectors and sinners were all crowding around to listen to Jesus. So the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law of Moses started grumbling, 'This man is friendly with sinners. He even eats with them.' Then Jesus told them this story: If any of you has 100 sheep, and one of them gets lost, what will you do? Won't you leave the 99 in the field and go look for the lost sheep until you find it? And when you find it, you will put it on your shoulder and carry it home. Then you will call in your friends and neighbors and say, 'Let's celebrate! I've found my lost sheep.' Jesus said, 'In the same way there is mo

Monday... Three ifs and two thens. They go together!

Monday... Three ifs and two thens. They go together! They really do. And this is what caught my attention this morning as I was reading Proverbs 2. Verse 1 (NRSVUE) says, "My child, if you accept my words and treasure my commands within you." Verse 3 (NIV), "Indeed i f you call  out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, Verse 4, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, Verse 5, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God." And verses 9-11, " Then you will understand what is right and just and fair - every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you." There will always be some effort we must do, some ifs for the thens to be realized in our lives. So many of us want to understand without the ifs. But the thens are so worth, so very worth the effort. Verses 5-6 in the Ampli

Wednesday... Our unless can turn into useless.

Wednesday... Our unless can turn into useless.  It really can. I have found that unless I give the correct email of my wife then I can't get what I wanted. I put an extra i in her email and I have been working for 5 days to get it changed. Unless has been useless. The writer of Psalm 94 uses this word and shows how important it is. Verses 17-19 (NLT) says, "Unless the Lord had helped me, I would have soon settled in the silence of the grave. I cried out, 'I'm slipping!' but your unfailing love, O Lord, supported me. When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer." "Unless the Lord had helped me." So many people go on and on and on striving to live their life on their own but they keep slipping and doubting and living without hope and cheer. Yes the Lord has such unfailing love for us, he really does but unless we have a relationship with him and we turn to him and ask him for help then the unless turns in to useless because h