Skip to main content

Tuesday... Here it is. Such a good friend.


Tuesday... Here it is. Such a good friend..

Every 5th month I start the book of Psalms over again. And it's back to a very good friend, Psalm 1. I believe I memorized it in third grade. Such a special friend.

Now I first memorized it in the King James Version of the Bible. It says, "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful." 

Yes, there is some comfort in that version but the Amplified Bible puts it this way. It says, "Blessed [fortunate, prosperous, and favored by God] is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked [following their advice and example], nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit [down to rest] in the seat of scoffers (ridiculers)."  A little more detailed. I mean blessed is a tremendous word but fortunate, prosperous and favored by God adds so much meaning.

I like how The Message Paraphrase puts it. It says, "How well God must like you." That is another way to say blessed. It goes on, "you don't walk in ruts of those blind-as-bats, you don't stand with the good-for-nothings, you don't take your seat among the know-it-alls."

Now if you could find a picture of me in 3rd grade and then see me today at 76 I would not look the same but it would still be me. I came from the same parents but I have lived through so many different experiences. You and I could have been friends back then and we are still friends today but we have grown through the experiences of life. 

Think of this, if we would go back to the way the Bible was in the beginning, it would not make any sense to us if we did not know the Hebrew language or the Greek language. The Old Testament was written in Hebrew and the New Testament was written in Greek. In other words the King James Version of the Bible was not the original version. And God has used many different versions coming from the original version to show us what He want say to us.

I am a different version at 76 than when I was in 3rd grade. I have grown.

The King James Version is still a good friend but I spend a great deal of my time now in the New Living Translation. It helps me in my understanding of what was written first in Hebrew and Greek. 

Here is how the NLT puts verses 1-3. I have highlighted it in my NLT because it has so much meaning to me.  Of course I have also highlighted it in the KJV, the AMP, the MSG. and the NIV. But the NLT says, "Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers. But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. They are like trees planted along the river bank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do."

In my reading each morning, I start in the NIV and then go to the NLT. But first I start in prayer asking that the Holy Spirit will open my eyes to see, my ears to hear, my mind to comprehend, my heart to comply and my hands to communicate. And then I strive to hear through different versions what He wants to say to me and through me. 

Yes, Psalm 1 is a very good old friend and each time I read it God applies what I need for that day through His Holy Spirit. In other words, I meditate and delight on it and remember, "Oh, the joys of those who... delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night." And that is so true. Yes, yes! #todaysbeginning

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday... It is so worth it. It really is!

Tuesday... It is so worth it. It really is! Look at this, Proverbs 5:21-23 (CEV) says, "The Lord sees everything, and he watches us closely. Sinners are trapped and caught by their own evil deeds. They get lost and die because of their foolishness and lack of self-control." That is true of so many. Now look at this, Luke 15:1-7 says, "Tax collectors and sinners were all crowding around to listen to Jesus. So the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law of Moses started grumbling, 'This man is friendly with sinners. He even eats with them.' Then Jesus told them this story: If any of you has 100 sheep, and one of them gets lost, what will you do? Won't you leave the 99 in the field and go look for the lost sheep until you find it? And when you find it, you will put it on your shoulder and carry it home. Then you will call in your friends and neighbors and say, 'Let's celebrate! I've found my lost sheep.' Jesus said, 'In the same way there is mo

Tuesday... Let's be smart.

Tuesday... Let's be smart. Proverbs 12:16a (CEV) says, "Losing your temper is foolish." It really is. And it is so hard to take it back. That is not smart. There are always consequence when we lose our temper and they are usually not good. Think of the last time you lost your temper at home, at your kids, at your spouse, at your pets. at your life, at where you live, at where you work. There are always repercussions and they are not good.  The New Living Translation says, "A fool is quick-tempered." The Message says, "Fools have short fuses and explode all too quickly." The Amplified Bible says, "The [arrogant] fool's anger is quickly known [because he lacks self-control and common sense]." It just is not a good thing. is it? But then the rest of this verse, this proverb (CEV) says, "ignoring an insult is smart." It really is. I have striven in dealing with people to give them a benefit of doubt. They didn't mean that, they

Friday... But, can be such a beautiful word.

Friday... But, can be such a beautiful word. It really can be life changing. Look at what Paul writes in his letter to the Ephesians. In 2:1-3 (NLT) he says, "Once you were dead because of your many sins. You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil - the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. By our very nature we were subject to God's anger, just like everyone else." There it is, there it is. That is the way we are living or have lived. Dead is a definite word of finality. At least the devil thought so and maybe you do too. And then verses 4-5 starts by saying, "But", that beautiful life changing word of opportunity even though we are dead. Yes, we are subject to God's anger, "But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even t