Skip to main content

Wednesday... What or who do you look up to?


Wednesday... What or who do you look up to?

Does someone come to your mind? Well, it is both a what and a who that comes to my mind. 

I love today's Psalm. It is a Psalm that has held me steady and it speaks of both the what and the who. And I was emotional as I read it this morning. Psalm 121:1 (MSG) says, "I look up to the mountains; does my strength come from mountains?" I do look up to them and they make me remember but I don't get my strength from them. And then verse 2 says, "No, my strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth, and mountains." I love that verse. 

So many get great peace and solitude and encouragement from being in nature. It is a great place to be. This morning, I am looking out on our foothills and as I was driving in to my coffee shop I could see Mt. Charleston and all the snow on it. I love those mountains but nature is just the middleman. They didn't just happen by themself, God created them. They are a reminder of God and His ability and His power and His majesty.

Look at verses 3 & 4, "He won't let you stumble, you're Guardian God won't fall asleep. Not on your life! Israel's Guardian will never doze or sleep." 

The Psalmist goes on in verses 5-8, "God's your Guardian, right at your side to protect you - shielding you from sunstroke, sheltering you from moon stroke. God guards you from every evil. He guards your very life. He guards you when you leave and when you return, he guards you now, he guards you always."

We lived here looking up at those mountains for 15 years and then we moved to Long Island in New York and then to the flattest state, Florida. There were no mountains there to wake up to but there was an Ocean. And God created the Ocean and I would walk beside it looking out and marveling at it greatness and be reminded of God.  

Now we have moved back to Nevada and I I love to look up at those mountains that surround us. They are beautiful and majestic and they remind me of the One who made those mountains. He is my Guardian. So let's not put our trust in the middleman but go right to the Creator. "I look up to the mountains; does my strength come from mountains? No, my strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth, and mountains."  Yes, yes! #todaysbeginning



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday... It is so worth it. It really is!

Tuesday... It is so worth it. It really is! Look at this, Proverbs 5:21-23 (CEV) says, "The Lord sees everything, and he watches us closely. Sinners are trapped and caught by their own evil deeds. They get lost and die because of their foolishness and lack of self-control." That is true of so many. Now look at this, Luke 15:1-7 says, "Tax collectors and sinners were all crowding around to listen to Jesus. So the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law of Moses started grumbling, 'This man is friendly with sinners. He even eats with them.' Then Jesus told them this story: If any of you has 100 sheep, and one of them gets lost, what will you do? Won't you leave the 99 in the field and go look for the lost sheep until you find it? And when you find it, you will put it on your shoulder and carry it home. Then you will call in your friends and neighbors and say, 'Let's celebrate! I've found my lost sheep.' Jesus said, 'In the same way there is mo

Tuesday... Let's be smart.

Tuesday... Let's be smart. Proverbs 12:16a (CEV) says, "Losing your temper is foolish." It really is. And it is so hard to take it back. That is not smart. There are always consequence when we lose our temper and they are usually not good. Think of the last time you lost your temper at home, at your kids, at your spouse, at your pets. at your life, at where you live, at where you work. There are always repercussions and they are not good.  The New Living Translation says, "A fool is quick-tempered." The Message says, "Fools have short fuses and explode all too quickly." The Amplified Bible says, "The [arrogant] fool's anger is quickly known [because he lacks self-control and common sense]." It just is not a good thing. is it? But then the rest of this verse, this proverb (CEV) says, "ignoring an insult is smart." It really is. I have striven in dealing with people to give them a benefit of doubt. They didn't mean that, they

Friday... But, can be such a beautiful word.

Friday... But, can be such a beautiful word. It really can be life changing. Look at what Paul writes in his letter to the Ephesians. In 2:1-3 (NLT) he says, "Once you were dead because of your many sins. You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil - the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. By our very nature we were subject to God's anger, just like everyone else." There it is, there it is. That is the way we are living or have lived. Dead is a definite word of finality. At least the devil thought so and maybe you do too. And then verses 4-5 starts by saying, "But", that beautiful life changing word of opportunity even though we are dead. Yes, we are subject to God's anger, "But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even t