Skip to main content

Monday... I am an example of this Proverb.



Monday... I am an example of this Proverb.  

Every month I start over in reading the Proverbs. This is the first day of August so I read Proverbs 1. It is a systematic way I read the Proverbs. I also read the Psalms by the date of each day. I'm starting my 4th month in a row in the Psalms so I read Psalm 91. 

 Now back to the Proverbs. I read the book of Proverbs 12 times in a year but each day and each month the Spirit highlights different words and different Proverbs for me to focus on. Today it was verses 8 and 9 (NLT). And I read them as a son of my parents. Now I am a 75 year old son of two parents who are in heaven and I am an example of this Proverb. 

 Verses 8 and 9 says, "My Child, listen when your father corrects you. Don't neglect your mother's instruction. What you learn from them will crown you with grace and be a chain of honor around your neck." I got emotional as I just wrote that. It is true. It really is. I have been crowned with grace and honor. I am so fortunate to have had godly parents who served the Lord and corrected when I needed it and gave me instruction that was founded upon the Bible. Now I was Biblically corrected. I was spanked two times. And it didn't hurt me, it directed me, it showed me that they meant what they said and they did it in love not anger. And that makes all the difference. 

And our son and daughter are also examples of this Proverb. They listened when I corrected them and they didn't neglect their mother, Margaret's instructions and they They weren't perfect but from a loving father's perspective, they were close and they both love the Lord today and are raising their children as godly parents. Listen, it works. Yes it does. 

Now some of you didn't have Christian parents and there are emotional scars left on you because of that. Listen, maybe you need to forgive then. And if they are still alive, pray for them. But if they were Christians and they raised you from a Christian perspective, if they are still alive then maybe you could thank them. And also pat yourself on the back because you listened when your father corrected you and didn't neglect your mother's instruction. And if you didn't, then ask them to forgive you. Also remember that even if our parents were Christians they weren't perfect but they at least had a Christian foundation and advantage in raising us.  

The MESSAGE puts it this way, "Pay close attention, friend to what you father tells you; never forget what you learned at your mother's knee. Wear their council like a winning crown, like rings on your fingers." I can't really express how much I love and appreciate B. Ivan and Helen Williams, my parents and thank God for them. I truly have been crowned with grace and a chain of honor is around my neck.

Yes, yes! #todaysbeginning

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday... It is so worth it. It really is!

Tuesday... It is so worth it. It really is! Look at this, Proverbs 5:21-23 (CEV) says, "The Lord sees everything, and he watches us closely. Sinners are trapped and caught by their own evil deeds. They get lost and die because of their foolishness and lack of self-control." That is true of so many. Now look at this, Luke 15:1-7 says, "Tax collectors and sinners were all crowding around to listen to Jesus. So the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law of Moses started grumbling, 'This man is friendly with sinners. He even eats with them.' Then Jesus told them this story: If any of you has 100 sheep, and one of them gets lost, what will you do? Won't you leave the 99 in the field and go look for the lost sheep until you find it? And when you find it, you will put it on your shoulder and carry it home. Then you will call in your friends and neighbors and say, 'Let's celebrate! I've found my lost sheep.' Jesus said, 'In the same way there is mo

Tuesday... Let's be smart.

Tuesday... Let's be smart. Proverbs 12:16a (CEV) says, "Losing your temper is foolish." It really is. And it is so hard to take it back. That is not smart. There are always consequence when we lose our temper and they are usually not good. Think of the last time you lost your temper at home, at your kids, at your spouse, at your pets. at your life, at where you live, at where you work. There are always repercussions and they are not good.  The New Living Translation says, "A fool is quick-tempered." The Message says, "Fools have short fuses and explode all too quickly." The Amplified Bible says, "The [arrogant] fool's anger is quickly known [because he lacks self-control and common sense]." It just is not a good thing. is it? But then the rest of this verse, this proverb (CEV) says, "ignoring an insult is smart." It really is. I have striven in dealing with people to give them a benefit of doubt. They didn't mean that, they

Friday... But, can be such a beautiful word.

Friday... But, can be such a beautiful word. It really can be life changing. Look at what Paul writes in his letter to the Ephesians. In 2:1-3 (NLT) he says, "Once you were dead because of your many sins. You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil - the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. By our very nature we were subject to God's anger, just like everyone else." There it is, there it is. That is the way we are living or have lived. Dead is a definite word of finality. At least the devil thought so and maybe you do too. And then verses 4-5 starts by saying, "But", that beautiful life changing word of opportunity even though we are dead. Yes, we are subject to God's anger, "But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even t